The sustaining force during the Woods' recent three quarters of a century has been Woodland Nurseries, a dedicated horticultural company, begun by Leslie and Dorothy Hancock.
  Leslie and Dorothy Hancock
Leslie and Dorothy Hancock, 1974
In 1931 they purchased a ten acre property, a portion of a large farm that was being divided into small holdings.

Over the years, the rough, unploughed swampy pasture and scrub bush were gradually developed into a nursery, producing ornamentals for use in its landscape projects.

  The Hancock's first house
The Hancock's first house, 1931

next previous